Monday, August 20, 2012

A Dirty Girl and Proud Of It


September 24, 2011

           Today is my first “real” race. I registered for the Dirty Girl Mud Run a few months ago, knowing that I would never back out once I paid my $65 registration fee. According to the website www.godirtygirl.com, the run is a female-only, 5K mud run designed for women of all fitness levels.

The 11 military-inspired obstacles are fun and unique but with just enough hell to keep your palms a bit sweaty. And the entire event is designed to be organic and eco-friendly. In fact, many of the obstacles will be recycled back into the earth. A portion of the proceeds go to breast caner research, so I feel good about that too.

Choosing my first 5k to be a non-competetive and untimed race was VERY intentional. I wanted my first big race experience to be fun. So, what better way than to roll around in the mud with some friends? Again, my incredible family came out to support me and the team; my parents, both my sisters, and their husbands and kids. I felt like I had a huge fan club.

A few weeks ago I was able to run my first 5k distance. I felt prepared and SO excited for this run. I could hardly stand the excitement and was like a child and unable to sleep.

The route was muddy (obviously), my knees and palms are skinned, I had mud in places it should never be. But I feel a contentment that I have rarely experienced in my adult life.

It took us about an hour and 15 minutes to complete the course leasurely. Strangers were cheering us on throughout. Girls and women of all ages were encouraging everyone, teammates or not. It was an incredible experience and I am so pumped up about running! I think I’ll go ahead and run tomorrow and forget my “rest” day.


                                      
 Team Down and Dirty Dames                                    A perfect shot of me getting “dirty”
                                              
                                           
                                            
                                         Delicious Sangrias awaited us at the finish line


No comments: