Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My New Favorite Word- BENIGN

I should have updated my blog much sooner, but I've been busy--- celebrating! Yes, the pathology results are in and are benign. Whew. When I sat down for my appointment, Dr. Arguello starting saying lots of big medical words- hurtle cells, neoplasm, parathyroid, follicular, etc. Blah blah blah! It was like listening to the teacher on the Peanuts cartoon. I am usually focused at my medical appointments but I seemed to be in a fog, listening for only two words- benign and malignant. Finally, I just interupted and asked what it was. Yes, it was benign!!! Woo hoo! I felt the weight of the world lift from my shoulders. After that I was able to pay attention and found out that the tumor was much bigger than he anticipated, it was actually 4.2 cm instead of the ultrasound diagnosis of 3.6 cm. He said that it was everywhere! He even had to scrape it from the base of my tongue. So, it is reasonable that I am still so sore. For right now, Dr. Arguello doesn't think the radioactive iodine is necessary. We will just follow up with another ultrasound soon. He ripped off the steri-strips and was pleased with the way the incision looks. He told me I could go back to work the following week and I could drive again immediately. Yeah!

So, I went back to work a couple of days ago. My head feels very heavy at the end of the day. I wonder how much my head really weighs? It is SO hard to be back and try to focus and remain upright for 8+ hours. I went home early on Monday and Tuesday and I think I will just plan on doing the same for the rest of the week. I forgot to mention that soon after surgery I had some twitchig in my lips and arms and fingers. This was due to a calcium deficiency. So, I am taking lots of Tums right now. This is in addition to the other meds I am on. I used to hate taking anything and rarely even had a Tylenol for a headache. Now I take 50,000 units per week of Vitamin D, and 3,000 mg of Tums (calcium), my Levoxyl (which hasn't been adjusted since surgery), and my generic Yasmin. I have also been eating ibuprofen like candy for the pain because I hate the way the Ultram makes me feel so jittery and restless. I am still not sleeping well, but I also have some new pain in my lower back, so who knows what the cause of that is.

I am starting to get concerned about the incision though. I still have irritated skin beneath the incision and the incision looks too red to me. It is exactly the same length so I don't think it was the adhesive. I will call Dr. Arguello's office if it doesn't go away soon. Prior to my surgery, I scoured the internet searching for pictures of the other people's incisions. So, below is a picture of my neck 19 days after surgery.

I will see my endocrinologist, Dr. Henley next week. I am sure she will order at least a TSH because I am still taking just 100mcg of Levoxyl. I already have an order for a calcium test from Dr. Arguello, but I have been procrastinating. I foresee lots and lots of appointments in my future and I guess I am just stalling. I'm afraid that the calcium has not leveled off and that I will be eating Tums forever in addition to everything else. I guess I won't know until I get the test done, so I might as well do it, huh? I know it could be worse, but I used to depend on my body. I used to trust that it had everything that it needed. I am pretty active and generally eat healthy foods, so it is frustrating that I need so many pills to make my body do what it needs to! Guess I should get used to all this. After all, I am only 33 and have lots of time left to live!

1 comment:

Dear Thyroid said...

Congratulations! Good to hear your results are so positive.
I hope you feel well,even while you are dealing with al those issues like back pain and not sleeping good.
The irritated skin at the incision doesn´t look too good.I think I would be a little concerned about that too.
Keep up your positive attitude.