Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What is significant about being 33?

I like my surgeon, Dr. Arguello-Rudin. He is funny, blunt, scruffy, kind, patient, and not at all politically correct. He asked me my age and when I replied with "33", he said "oh, the same age as Jesus." That one threw me off a bit. Wasn't that the same age Jesus was when he was crucified? I mean, Jesus was also 1 yr, 15 yrs, 21 yrs, etc. too, so why mention it? I think he was just trying to lighten the mood. I just met him yesterday. After we spent a few minutes talking about my medical history, he examined me. Then we sat down again and he said "let's get rid of this sh*t". See why I like him?

He still plans on taking only the left half of my thyroid, but is not opposed to taking it all. He ordered some blood tests and a chest xray. The chest xray will show if there are any suspicious spots on my lungs (just in case). Two of the blood tests he ordered I have never had before- Antithyroid Antibodies and Anti-something-globin. He said if these tests show a level of more than 32, then it is most likely cancer and he will take the entire thyroid out. He also said that if he sees any nodules or suspicous tissues on the right side, then he will take the entire thyroid out. If everything looks healthy on the right side, then just the left will come out initially. He promised me that he would personally take the tissue down to pathology after surgery to try and get some results. However, he also said that sometimes even then they can't tell. So, there is still an awful chance that I will have half of thyzilla removed, start to recover, and then go home only to return for a second surgery to have the right side removed. That would STINK! I really hope that doesn't happen.

So, my surgery is on Friday, February 19th at 7:30am at Memorial Hospital Main on Boulder St. I have to check in at the regretable hour of 5:30am. Ugh, well I am not sleeping right not anyway, right? If you would like to visit, I am sure that I will be up for it that afternoon or later. You can call my husband Andy if you are not sure of the timing. His number is 719-213-4807.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts, kind wishes, and prayers. I appreciate it more than you know. Now I need to go and prepare to be out for a while. See you soon!

No comments: